Tuesday, April 19, 2011

PRESSURE IN THE SIDELOCK RIFLE

The magnet that pulled me to the muzzle loading rifle was the Old Reliable Sharps. I was absolutely infatuated with that famed long range Buffalo Rifle, that “master of the plains”. I had only one problem with acquiring a Sharps----money. There was no way in this wide world that I could afford such a rifle, but I managed to get my hands on a T.C. Hawken. My first venture with this kind of weapon was cap and ball, black powder and a huge learning curve. After some years with the round ball gun, I met a man in Round Rock, Texas named David “Davie” Boultinghouse. Dave was an outstanding custom black powder weapons and accessory builder, at that time Texas’ only full time black powder gun maker and smith. I became Dave’s “apprentice”, the journey was under way. Dave helped me build (actually he held my hand as I stumbled through the process) my first rifle----it was a “flinter”. It had silver wire inlay, good wood, Douglas barrel, crisp set triggers---it was a beautiful weapon, a fine piece of work. We put the rifle up for sale, it brought $600.00, to my deepest delight the deal fell through, and that rifle is in my rack this very day.

Strange how far things have come (sometimes you wonder in which direction). I would never have imagined the muzzle loading industry would have moved into the saboted/nonsaboted smokeless high velocity arena that now dominates the attention of most muzzle loading shooters, me included. This being said, I am aware that some refuse to move away from the lure of by gone days. It is for those few that this is intended and if perchance you read these lines and they are foreign to your experience, please, humor good memories of great rifles and good day’s afield perusing a sport that was more than hunting—it was a love affair with history and for a moment a step back into the same.

The following is a pictorial mini-session addressing pressure in a side lock rifle----enjoy.
Bob Parker




INDICATION OF EXCESS PRESSURE AND NIPPLE WEAR IN A SIDELOCK RIFLE.

The normal position for the hammer of the side lock after firing is resting on the nipple. If the hammer is on half cock the pressure is too high or the nipple is worn.
Note pictures 1-2-3-4.



No comments:

Post a Comment